Academic IELTS – is often used as a benchmark for one’s English language skills. Although previously there have been similar tests, namely the TOEFL, but currently the IELTS test is more booming. Many foreign companies or universities make the score in the Academic IELTS test as a requirement to enter it. Actually, what is the difference between Academic IELTS and TOEFL? The following is the full explanation, both from the type of test, the uses, to the abilities tested.
1. Ability Tested in the Test
In terms of the abilities tested in the test, here are the differences between TOEFL and IELTS:
• IELTS, the abilities tested are reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
• TOEFL ITP, the abilities tested are structure, listening, and reading.
• TOEFL IBT, the abilities tested are reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
2. Problem Media and Answer Sheet Used
In the case of using the media during the test, here are the differences between the two:
• IELTS, paper is used as a medium for listening, reading, and writing exams. Whereas, in the speaking exam, the media was not used, because the participants communicated directly with the examiner.
• TOEFL ITP, paper (print) is used as a matter of question and answer sheet on all problem models.
• TOEFL IBT, computer (digital) is used as a matter of questions and answer sheets on all problem models.
3. Test Organizer
Judging from the test organizers, the difference between TOEFL and IELTS includes:
• IELTS, organized by the University of Cambridge, the British Council, and IDP Education which have collaborated with universities, universities, and language institutions throughout the world, including in Indonesia.
• TOEFL, both ITP and IBT, test administrators from ETS who have also worked with universities, high institutions, and language institutions throughout the world, including Indonesia.
4. Test Place
For the test venue, there are tests that can be held throughout Indonesia, but some are not.
• IELTS, held at British Council, IDP, or TBI special institutions. Universities that have large language centers can also conduct this test.
• TOEFL ITP, organized by official language institutions or universities that have language centers and are spread throughout Indonesia.
• TOEFL IBT, organized by official language institutions or certain universities (usually in big cities) that have language centers.
5. Use of Test Score
Academic IELTS and TOEFL test results are certificates containing scores, which are used for different purposes, namely:
• IELTS, the score is used as a condition for continuing education or working in Europe, the United Kingdom and an English-speaking country.
• TOEFL IPT, the score is used as a condition when continuing education or working in Asian countries, including Indonesia.
• TOEFL IBT, the score is used as a condition when continuing education in the United States.